4.08.2009

The Mighty Hannibal



I just recently watched the episode of 'Daytripping' over at Pitchfork featuring King Khan. The most interesting parts of it involve King Khan talking about the huge influence of James Shaw (AKA The Mighty Hannibal, AKA King Hannibal). I had not previously known anything about The Mighty Hannibal, but immediately upon hearing his music, it was evident just how damn important he was to King Khan, and many other of the current crop of garage-y soul revivalists. Anyhow, Norton Records issued a great compilation of Shaw's work entitled Hannibalism! and it is definitely not to be missed. I just wish I had gotten turned onto this earlier. Better late than never, I suppose. (In my defense, there's less info in Wikipedia on him than there is on me. This is something that really, really should be remedied.)

There is, however, a short biography on the Mighty Hannibal over at AllMusic. Just also found another interesting (and more in-depth) article on him over at Creative Loafing. From said article:

Even though he was busy making history, Hannibal was far from a household name. But the legend's rabble-rousing spirit resonates with today's crop of rockers in a way that has earned him a new fan base – at a point in his career when most musicians would have already thrown in their turban... He reels through stories about hanging out with James Brown, Little Richard, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Muhammad Ali, and talks about copping drugs with Ray Charles and being addicted to crack for more than 20 years. He's seen more than his share, but his spirit shows no sign of breaking.

The photo above was taken by Jacob Blickenstaff.


"My Kinda Girl" by The Mighty Hannibal

4 comments:

kathryn said...

Yummm... Ben you need to give me some more garage-y soul recommendations. I'm loving my Funky 16 Corners.

Ben said...

I may have already mentioned them, but definitely check out The Heavy. Their debut full-length is titled "Great Vengeance and Furious Fire" and I think it's pretty stunningly amazing. And then you definitely should look into King Khan -- a pretty good place to start would be the compilation "The Surpreme Genius Of King Khan And The Shrines."

Ben said...

"Supreme Genius..." even.

Ben said...

I could also see you getting into the Detroit Cobras.