3.22.2009

Reissues make me happy



There's been a barrage of cool stuff getting the vinyl reissue treatment lately -- unsurprising, given the resurgence of the format over the last several years. I'm all for it -- especially for the albums that command crazy high prices on ebay. (In this vein, I'm so glad that The Flaming Lips are finally getting around to reissuing The Soft Bulletin this summer. I knew it had to happen eventually!) Anyhow, I've noticed that there's been some really interesting 90's stuff getting repressed on vinyl -- so much so that it's hard to decide what I can actually spend my money on. Cost versus the "how many times will I really listen to this?" concern have kept me from grabbing the Beastie Boys reissues, but I'm not sure if it will stop me from picking up at least one or two of the upcoming Green Day reissues (Kerplunk!, I'm looking in your direction). It's a little strange that some of my records from my adolescence are getting to (or already passed) the 15-year anniversary mark. Definitely on the must-have list for me personally are the reissues of the first two Breeders records. I've been darn excited for these since I found out about them a month or two ago, but they're finally hitting stores in just a few short weeks. Now, if someone would just get around to reissuing Hum's You'd Prefer An Astronaut...


"I Just Want To Get Along" by The Breeders

6 comments:

j. amadeus markley said...

well rest assured they reissued offspring's smash. don't forget that one on our teenage listening list. or maybe that was just me.

and i will admit that i would be the lookout era green day albums on vinyl. they were good weren't they?

Ben said...

Because of how much everything after 'Smash' sucked, my view of the The Offspring is always a little bit tainted -- but yeah, no doubt, but holy shit I listened to the hell out 'Smash.' I'm pretty sure I had a cassette tape that I had dubbed one side with Weezer's first record, and the other side was 'Smash.' I wore that one out for sure. I didn't know they had reissued that. Oh man. This is definitely the beginning of starting to feel old.

Ben said...

And yeah, those Lookout records were damn good.

Ben said...

Oh, speaking of old Lookout stuff -- did you ever get into the Squirtgun records? Man, those are also on my list of stuff that I will totally have to grab if I can find them, but can't quite justify grabbing from Ebay unless I find them cheap. But man... I love that stuff.

2die4 said...

and you guys make fun of me for liking the thermals?

Ben said...

Not that I recall. I like The Thermals.